Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

This is what happens when I worry there is a garbanzo bean shortage in our apartment:

5 cans and I can guarantee that come Sunday I will be tempted to buy some more...

As we go with our meat-free month we rely on these for our favorite weeknight meals.  Chickpea Satay Pita and the similar Peanut Noodles with Salmon Chickpeas.  Anything that involves peanut butter morning, noon and/or night is top choice in our eyes. 

Even though we do prefer these meals with chicken, I gotta say they are still insanely good with the garbanzos.   It may just be the texture of the chicken that I miss and find works best for the dishes. 

I asked Abel a few days ago to rate on a scale of 1-10 just how much he misses eating meat this month and his answer was around a 5.  Hes ok without it but definitely not about to ditch it entirely...

Me, I think just the idea of giving it up for a month was much more stressful than the actual giving it up.  My rating of missing meat comes in at a 3.  I miss chicken in some of the salads but if I could find a substitute texture for something meaty like chicken then I would probably be ok without much meat at all.   Although I do think I would still indulge in seafoods from time to time...

Last weekend we took a trip to Columbus for a court interpretor class Abel had registered to attend.  While he was in class I had every intention of navigating around the city to see what downtown Columbus had to offer...

well, THAT was the intention anyway...

What I ended up doing instead was snuggling up in the hotel bed watching the Food Network.  We don't have cable back at our apartment and though I don't miss it very much, I do miss the food network.... oh so very much.

I ended up watching episode after episode of The Great Food Truck Race (Season 2) and its there that I saw my next must try....

The vegan girls "Seabirds" were working with jackfruit to sell tacos from their trucks and it took me back to a trip we made to Jungle Jims earlier this year.  We had seen big ol Jackfruits but never knew how to use them or even how to tell when they were ripe so I made a mental note to research it and return to experiment with it..

..only like most of my mental notes, it got cluttered up and lost in the rubble of everything new my head has been trying to contain.

Eventually I had forgotten all about it until those little Seabird chickies shed light back on that memory.  After a LITTLE research I am finding that buying an actual jackfruit would be a bigger pain in the butt to choose and prep than I am willing to invest.  In order to use it as a meat sub it needs to be under ripe enough...

... daunting for a food newbie like me!

I will however keep an eye out for canned or jarred jackfruit already cut and save my efforts.  I will also document here the experience as I have read a mix of positive and negative reviews from people who have prepped their own jackfruit for tacos. 

In the end, I ended up missing the last three episodes of the food truck race but did make it out to enjoy some of the sights in downtown Columbus.   You can find pics of our two day adventure on Abels blog as I believe I've already blabbed on long enough here. 

I will of course make one final note about the trip to Columbus in terms of food.   In keeping in step with the meatless month, my dinner of choice Friday night was perhaps the absolute best meal I've eaten all month at a small restaurant downtown called The Jury Room.   If ever you find yourself in Columbus, Abel and I both highly recommend it! 

My dish of choice:  

Jury Room Shrooms
Tomato, basil, portobella mushrooms, mozzarella atop a bed of zuchhini strips and roasted potatoes.

A dish that surprisingly would be able to be recreated in accordance to the SASS eating plan.  Granted I know these veggies were bathed in butter which made the dish less than stellar  healthwise (but not tastewise;)  I still have every intention on making my own version of this here at home because it was just that good. I know butter tends to make things taste like creamy heaven but if I can get remotely close to recreating this meal without the butter I will be in portobello heaven :0)

Happy Tuesday Bloggers!!