Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Don't make food your victim...

Mock Strawberry Crisp (recipe online)

Combining almond butter and oats to create a fruit topping?  Geee-ni-uss!!  I've been looking forward to trying this recipe ever since Cynthia posted the article on her facebook page.   The warm strawberries in their naturally sweet juices were just what I needed for my Debbie Downer mood this morning.

It seems that overnight I have a dozen new items for my to-do list and nowhere near enough time to complete them all.  Top that with the fact that I wont be visiting my mother for Mothers Day this year, plus the innuendo that I have been awful at keeping in touch with people,  and blaming my job for not giving me enough down time or even appreciation.... well, my head was about ready to explode this morning.  Head/tear ducts... same difference....

Guilt, anxiety, sadness and anger are all not the emotions I was hoping to have by 9a.m.  

Before I even got to making breakfast I forced myself to sit down and think of solutions to help my moods as of late. I'm losing the balance I need right now and I was pretty sure that poor delicious Strawberry Crisp was going to suffer the violent act of emotional eating.

But look at it.  Its strawberries for Gods sake... the strawberries have done me no wrong, they deserve the attention and praise for every delectable bite.... every last nutrient they as well as the almond butter, the oats and the milk are waiting to provide for my body...  

I wasn't going to take it out on them....

So I gave myself a "time-out" to breathe and let go of some of my negativity.  As I was prepping it all,  I filled up my water bottle, let the cold hydration take over my system and let the emotional weight fall off my shoulders... at least until breakfast was over with.

I can't tell you how glad I am to have done such a thing because had I not enjoyed every morsel of that breakfast, I probably would be an even bigger grump right now.  

I had also given myself a free "get out of exercising" card just because I didn't want the added stress of another "to-do" on my list....

and though that would have been perfectly acceptable, the more I think about it... its Friday.   Whats one more round of exercise to finish off the week?  

Put my dilemmas on hold... I have a date with Leslie Sansone.