Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Trip To Trader Joes.. finally!

Day 41
Lemon Thyme Scallops (pg 130)
I've never eaten, let alone cooked, scallops before.   I wasn't sure what to expect, but due to my error in the recipe we accidentally only bought a few ounces worth and decided to make up the rest with the last bit of shrimp in the freezer.

Awesome recipe.  Im almost certain I overcooked the scallops because the texture was a bit firmer than what I've been reading it should be.  Call me crazy but I like that tougher almost rubbery bite.

In other news, we finally managed to make our trip out to T. Joes today:
Being the weekend, it was fairly packed and much smaller than I was expecting it to be but we definitely enjoyed the experience!  That actually says a lot because yours truly is SUCH a hater of crowded places.  Their selection of items pretty much distracted me from even paying attention to those hovered around us.

A trip that originally started off as "window" shopping turned into a mini grocery stop.  I was expecting prices to be higher than what we usually pay but their almond butter and peanut butter was considerably cheaper than the kroger prices we pay.   Silly me.

Heres what apparently happens when we "window" shop:


          
  • Almond Butter
  • Peanut Butter
  • Vegetarian Refried Pinto Beans
  • Two pears
  • Strawberries
  • Two Bananas (not photographed)
  • Veggie Broth
  • Garbanzo Beans
  • California Sushi Rolls
  • Swordfish (not photographed)

We're not sure what we're going to do with the swordfish just yet but it seems like a great idea for us to find something new each week and try it.   Whether its fruits, veggies, fish, grains, spices...  anything really.

As for the sushi, I heard about it from one of my favorite YouTube vloggers and considering Abel is a huge fan of sushi, we decided it was a permissable item to enjoy over the next few days.

Tomorrow we will be out shopping for the rest of the week and hoping to the highest of heavens that I may be able to track down some Rose extract as well as candied rose petals.

I have an idea for a home made mothers day gift and considering my mom has a fond memory of eating Rose flavored ice cream in Mexico as a young'un, I'd like to try my hand at some rose flavored baked goods to send to her back home since we won't be able to make the drive up this weekend.   I would order the items online but it'd be ideal to find them tomorrow so I have the leeway to experiment in case my results are less than stellar.