Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 13 - some of our groceries for the upcoming week

9:30 a.m. Breakfast - Banana Hazelnut Ricotta Toast
1:15p.m. Snack- Open Faced Cheese & Apple Sandwich (half serving)
5:45 p.m. Lunch- Chicken Pesto Pita
9:30 p.m. Dinner- Chicken Satay Pita
11:30 p.m Chocolate Escape- Peppercorn Truffle

Day 13 went a little askew and lunch wasn't supposed to be as late as 5:45p.m. but we got caught up grocery shopping for next weeks menu items.  Had we known it would take us so long to find most of our items, we would have eaten our full snack at 1 o'clock rather than splitting one.

By the time we got home I was quite the little crab ass and my energy levels were absolutely low.  It wasn't my prettiest moment but apparently thats what happens when you don't feed the lioness.  (My apologies MrFiance)

After we ate, I was back in happy mode and was even up for another final grocery trip.  About 40 minutes away is the most amazing grocery store I've ever seen called Jungle Jims.  It's an international supermarket which has a bizzillion items from all over the world.

I should've taken a photograph of the place to show you how fun it is but I was certain we already had photos from prior trips.  Apparently I was mistaken as I couldn't find any to share with you guys.   I did however take a snapshot of our misfit groceries (the items we couldn't find anywhere else yesterday)



  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Kumquats
  • Red Pepper Tampenade
  • Dark Chocolate Morsels
  • Buckwheat pancake mix
  • Dried Cranberries
  • Cardamom
  • Cashew Butter
  • Brazil Nuts 
Nothing really "exotic" in this trip but definitely a costly stop for us as we all know the costs of nuts and nut butters.

The good news is, the pricier items will last us quite a while -- the hefty 10 dollar price tag for cardamom was almost sinful.  Never in my right mind would I have thought to pay so much for a spice but in honor of trying all these new things, it was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

TheFiance did see the same spice for $6 online but after the costs of shipping and considering the wait time, we decided to just make the purchase local.  

Also new to us for the upcoming week are the kumquats.  Interesting little things, we're pretty anxious to try them out.  I'll of course update with our opinions as the days go by and we use these in our snacks and meals :0)

As for our Day 13 pick of meals... all delicious.  Our lunch and snacks were repeats from last week so we knew those were yummy.  I was a little hesitant at having a pita for lunch and another for dinner but after eating the dinner pita, I have to admit I was on cloud 9.   I would have never thought of joining chicken and peanut butter but that is what that little fella entails.. along with a mix of veggies and spices.  They were amazing.

Its nice to know that our menu is already prepped for next week and the cabinets are ready and waiting.

I could get used to this :0)