Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 26 - My very own recipe creation & Weigh In.

8:45 A.M. Breakfast - Dark Chocolate Oatmeal w/Side of Minted Blueberry Yogurt (recipe #4 on that link)
2:00 P.M. Lunch - Citrus Salmon Salad (pg 129)
6:00 P.M Snack - Zesty Cherry Chicken (see recipe below)
9:30 P.M. Dinner - Mediterranean Shrimp Pizza (pg 129)

The breakfast recipe can be found online and also on page 101 of the book.  Due to my recent stomach issues I omitted the blueberry yogurt and simply had the oatmeal.  Not a completely balanced breakfast since I didnt have my fruit and protein but I must say the dark chocolate oatmeal felt absolutely sinful.    I want to liken it to eating a cake batter of sorts but obviously not as sweet as cake batter.   Decadent though, very very decadent :0)

The salmon for lunch was great. The recipe called for red wine vinegar but I opted for balsamic instead.  I feel like the last meal I had with red wine vinegar, the flavor was a little too overpowering for me and though I could have just cut back this time I decided to go with what I know I like.  Especially since my snack was somewhat "experimental"...

Originally the snack was going to be Cherry Yogurt w/a side of Peanut Butter Crackers, but again since I'm trying to keep my dairy intake down for the next few days I had to find a replacement.  Sadly, I only had about 10 minutes before heading out the door and because dairy products fit the "Protein" puzzle piece I had to find something that was quick.  My first thought was to hard boil an egg to eat separately,   but to boil it and take it with me to peel it at work would have been a pain -- the only other thing I had prepped was some cooked chicken.

So cooked chicken it was and this was how the recipe went:
  • 1 c. thawed dark cherries
  • 1 serving whole grain crackers
  • 3 oz cooked chicken
  • 1 tbsp  pine nuts
  • 1/8 tsp lemon zest; 1/8 tsp orange zest and 1 tsp italian seasonings
Combine chicken and dark cherries, sprinkle with zest and seasonings, top with pine nuts and serve with crackers. 

Easy peasy... and the result was wonderful.  One of my favorite things about the flavor meld was in part due to the crackers I paired it up with:


I first heard of these on Cynthias Facebook Page.  They were highly recommended and available online here.

Not really looking to order foods online at the time I first started this plan, I forgot all about them until a recent trip to Kroger led me right to them.  If I'm not mistaken they were $3.65.  A little steep for a box of crackers but I made the splurge and am so far loving them.  The website tells you this particular flavor (Caraway) is reminiscent of rye bread which is true.  Personally I've never enjoyed rye bread but theres something about these crackers that I definitely love.

Paired with the cherry chicken, everything just harmonized and made me happy.  TheFiance was sent to work with the original snack of cherry yogurt and PB crackers but I ended up saving just enough of my recipe so he could try it out and give me his input that evening.   It was kinda one of those things where he tasted it and said "Oh, thats good!" ... and two seconds after eating it, the flavors hit him and he said "MMM! That was REALLY good!!"

It's a keeper.

As for the weigh in, I normally would do a separate post but considering there may be a few more posts within the weekend that I want to share I'm throwing it up here to save time.

Plus my weigh in (as predicted) kinda sucked.  Still fighting the constipation blues and semi bloated up, the scale put me down a mere .4 lbs.   Quite frankly I'm ok with it as I've also increased my 2 mile equivalent walks to 4 miles this week.  My thighs have been feeling the burn and my prominent little love handles are furthermore deflating.  Regardless of what that little scale says I know changes are still occurring :0)

As for TheFiance, the scale is still loving him with a decrease of 2.4 pounds.   Even though he got stuck working this Saturday morning, he left a happy little camper! :0)

[side note]:I got so excited about my snack recipe I forgot to mention that dinner (the shrimp pizza) was AWESOME...  sun dried tomatoes are fantastic for flavor punches!   How I could forget to mention pizza of any kind is beyond me.... theres just so much to say I guess ;0)