Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 21 - the foods keep comin....



9:30 p.m. Breakfast - Berry Almond French Toast (pg 99)
1:30 p.m.  Snack - Mango Mint Avocado Smoothie (pg 106)
5:45 p.m  Lunch - Tuna Pecan Pasta (pg 130)
10:15 p.m.  Dinner - Herbed Turkey and Spinach "Spaghetti" Bake (pg 126)
11:00 p.m.  Chocolate Escape - Green Tea Truffles (pg 148)

Did you catch that Snack title?  Mango mint avocado smoothie.   Quite an odd combination but it worked lovely together.  Sadly I forgot we had fresh mint and I used extract instead.  The extract was a wee bit overpowering to the other flavors but even still, it was pretty good.  If I didnt know what was in there I would have had no clue it involved avocado.  

Sometimes with these meals it still takes a few bites for my tastebuds to harmonize and realize the greatness of taste.  Both lunch and dinner (at first bite) felt a little bland to me (even with all the seasonings in) but a few bites in and suddenly its some great tasting deliciousness.

Dinner was my favorite meal of the day this time.  I've only cooked with spaghetti squash in one other recipe, (an asian dish) and I've forever been telling myself to actually make spaghetti with it and just never got around to it.   We've definitely been missing out!  The portion was rather large, I had to keep double checking the recipe card we have to make sure I didn't foul up and make too much.   It was ah-mazing....

In other news, the last few days I've been scouring the internet for recipes others may have decided to share that fit this particular strategy of eating.  It's not hard to plug in your own recipe and make swaps for each of the categories (produce, whole grain, protein, plant based fats, & seasonings) but I feel like I'm not quite ready to jump in and try it just yet.  So I've just been checking around.

Upon searching, I stumbled across an article the author of the book wrote for Prevention magazine:

16 New Fruits To Try Today

Although it was written years ago, there were a few fruits on the list I've never heard of and we are officially going to be on lookout for some of these to try.  One of the fruits we found, Cherimoya will be making its debut for our Day 22 foods.    I've never heard of it let alone had it, but TheFiance is familiar with it -- he's apparently had the fruit long ago in Mexico and is anxiously awaiting its destination into our tummies.

Yay Fruit!