Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Day 19 - Hello Mr Sardine...

9:30 a.m. Breakfast - Spicy Grape Parfait (pg. 98)
1:00 p.m. Lunch - Sicilian Sardine Pasta (pg. 131)
6:00 p.m. Snack - Avocado Egg Dip (pg. 111)
9:00 p.m. Dinner - Peanut Noodles w/Salmon (Variation #4 on website)

Ah, nothing quite like the smell of warm sardines first thing in the morning.

Joking of course...  I'm not sure when I ever tried sardines but I was pretty sure I hated them.  It took quite a bit of coaching from TheFiance for me to even steal a taste from his before packing it up for his lunch.  That way if I didn't like it I would find something else to make for my own lunch later.  Hesitant as I was, he had a good point and a bite of sardine pasta was the first thing I ate Day 19.

Much to my surprise, I didn't hate them.  In fact, I didn't see too much of a difference between sardines and other types of fish.  Their flavor was a little "fishier" but not awful.  My apologies to all the sardines of the world.  You are delicious and I will probably eat you again sometime.  (You're welcome)

As for the rest of the meals, breakfast and dinner were the stars.  Grapes+cereal+yogurt, spices and nuts= the ultimate "cereal bowl" upgrade.  Two thumbs up from the two of us.

When it came to our snack, the picture above is what the recipe called for.  It's an avocado egg dip, whole grain crackers and a side of kumquats.   What I ended up eating was the avocado egg dip and a small apple sliced up.  As much as I wanted to love the kumquats, I found them entirely too annoying to eat.  They are extremely tart which I actually loved but the seeds in them were too much work.  Something that tiny shouldn't have 4-5 standard sized seeds.  And though I know people often eat them in their entirety I simply couldn't get into it and finally gave up.  Here I thought the rind was going to be a big turn off but not at all, it was just the seeds.   TheFiance, on the other hand enjoyed them and though he found the seeds to be annoying, it was worth it to him to eat em on up.

Dinner was another one TheFiance had to talk me through only because it involved red cabbage.  I've never been a fan of cabbage but I may have to stop saying so because the cabbage in the ginger sauce worked really well.   If there was one thing about this meal that kept my hopes sky high, it was the fact that the noodles were smothered around in peanut butter.   If I'm not mistaken I am peanut butters #1 fan, and this meal wouldn't have been the same sans the PB.   Amazing :0)

On another note, its officially weigh in day and I'll be posting the results after our morning errands.  Still fighting evil "Aunt Flo"s constipation and bloating but regardless of what the scale says, I'm one happy camper.